Cook, Full Time Days
Position Title: Cook
Location: Barlow Main, Los Angeles
Hours/Shifts: Full Time, Days
Barlow Respiratory Hospital is a Long Term Acute Care Hospital (LTACH) with 105 beds in three locations. This position serves our Main campus in Los Angeles, next to Dodger Stadium.
Experience, Education and Licensure Required:
- Cook I: One year of previous experience in institutional food preparation.
- Cook II: Ten or more years of previous experience in institutional setting, health care or military preferred, including five years at Barlow Respiratory Hospital with full time cooking duties.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Have ability to calculate measurements in recipes to increase or decrease servings.
- Ability to follow directions and recipes.
- Ability to work any shift as assigned.
- Ability to prepare foods that are attractive, nutritious and flavorful.
Details of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determines types and quantities of meats, vegetables and soups to be prepared by reviewing planned menus for patients, cafeteria and special functions.
- Determines amount of foods needed to meet weekly menus and submits order to Food service Manager.
- Ensures meals are ready at specified times and properly stored and utilizes left-overs.
- Ensures that all items prepared are met with quality standards for taste, appearance and temperatures are within the range of recipes and good cooking principles.
- Consults Clinical Dietitian on modified diets, as necessary and check tray line as needed.
- Supervises food service workers when washing, trimming or preparing food.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to approved recipes using blenders, mixers, grinders, slicers, etc.
- Makes sauces, soups, stews, casseroles and desserts meeting established dietary guidelines.
- Cooks meat, fish in a variety of ways such as baking, roasting, broiling and steaming. Carves, chop and puree meats, fish and other foods as needed for patient diet orders.
- Responsible for dating and label all food Items in the refrigerator/freezer.
- Tests foods being cooked to ensure doneness. Adjusts heat controls as necessary and maintains correct and record temperatures after cooking on a daily basis.
- Record all equipment temperatures daily and report any malfunction to the supervisor.
- Responsible to direct food service workers In the absence of the manager.
- Maintains kitchen in a clean, neat and organized manner. Observes infection control practices and good personal hygiene at all times.