Director of Information Services
The Director of Information Services is responsible for the planning, organizing and directing of functions of the Communication and Information Services Department of Barlow Respiratory Hospital. Resolves complex organizational and technological problems. Evaluates new vendors and products and oversees installations and upgrades. Participates with I.S. Steering Committee to identify and satisfy the technological needs of the organization. Maintains on-going clinical, financial and communication systems used at the hospitals.
The incumbent is responsible for directing the functions of the Communication and Information Management Services Department including information technology and telecommunications and will be responsible for the development of short and long range plans. Will be expected to confer with administration and department managers to determine information technology and communication needs. Must have a thorough knowledge of state-of-the-art information technology applications used in the healthcare industry.
The Director of Information Services will be expected to:
- Keep current with principles and practices, technology, regulations and standards that apply to healthcare information technology and communications.
- Demonstrate knowledge of software, midrange, desktop, laptop computers, networks, databases, wireless communication and telecommunication systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of computer center operations and procedures and systems analysis.
- Oversee all information technology projects; design, plans, specifications, estimates, reports and recommendations. Serves as project manager for all major system implementation & communication projects.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of HIPAA regulations and other state and federal privacy and confidentiality of information requirements.
- Plan & direct strategic evaluation of current and proposed systems and applications in accordance with Hospital goals and objectives.
- Ensure prompt and courteous feedback to requestors of computer and communication services.
- Develop policies & procedures for Information Services and Communications including the standardization of microcomputer equipment & software.
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer/Chief Information Officer in managing vendor relationships and negotiating contracts with all hardware, software and supplies vendor.
- Evaluate equipment capabilities and recommends acquisitions/upgrades ensuring proper introduction of technological advances into the Barlow Respiratory Hospital
- Organize, prioritize and manage projects within agreed timeframes and costs.
- Coordinate systems and telephone orientation and training for all Barlow Respiratory Hospital personnel.
- Prepare Information Services & Communications annual budgets and monthly variance reports, and control expenses for which responsible.
- Assist Information Services & Communications staff in performing their daily activities on an as needed basis.
- Promote good staffing practices by maximizing the utilization of human resources; forecast and anticipate the personnel needs of the department with regard to fluctuations in the projected workload; and will be expected to hold staffing at a functional minimum.
- Demonstrate leadership skills in planning, policy/procedure, change management, communications, control, staff selection and utilization and managing and improving staff performance.
- Have overall responsibility for ensuring uninterrupted information system and communication services to the organization with 24 hr, 7 day a week on-call responsibilities to respond to interruptions of service.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology.
- Thorough knowledge of network operations and hospital clinical and financial information systems, preferably including experience with AS400 applications.
Five years experience in data processing, systems analysis, computer operations and programming, project management and supervision.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to analyze complex technical problems and implement effective solutions.
- Ability to consistently set priorities and meet demanding timeframes.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Ability to communicate concisely and clearly to non-technical personnel.